Monday, May 16, 2011

Walmart: 05/16/2011

Sadly, our kitchen has ants.  I did not know of any particularly good ant trap sales going on right now, and we obviously wanted to take care of the issue ASAP and not wait for a good sale.  So I searched for any brand of ant trap coupons that I could find and headed on over to Walmart to see which brand came out to be the cheapest.

My Husband and I searched the shelves and found one brand for $2.47, and we had a $2 off coupon.  JACKPOT!  So we grabbed them and went to the register.

I noticed that they rang up as $3.97, so I asked the cashier why it was so much higher than it was listed on the shelf as.  She told me because sales tax had been added to it to make it over $4.  I told her that is not what I meant.  I told her that the shelf had a whole box of them labeled at only $2.47, and they are ringing up now as $3.97.  She said she didn't know.

As a quick side note, I should point out that I am the talker in the relationship.  My husband hates confrontations even more than I do.  Also, he talks less than the average person...And I talk more than the average person.

So with a long line of angry customers forming behind us, I was ready to just accept the higher price, take the $2.00 off, and then get them for $1.97 plus tax.  But at this point even my husband was wondering if we grabbed the wrong item.  So I waited at the register, and he ran back to the aisle to see if he could grab the cheaper item.  He called my cell while he was there and said that he double-checked the price tag and the box of  traps that were sitting there, and that we definitely got the correct product and that they are definitely supposed to be $2.47.

Now the cashier was still waiting for someone to come over and help her.  I repeated to her what my husband just told me on the phone, but she said she couldn't overwrite the price without a manager.  So my husband gets back to the register, and tells her that he double-checked the price and that there is a whole box sitting there, not just the one we got.

Finally a CSM comes over and we tell him that it is labeled on the shelf as $2.47 but is ringing up as $3.97.  So he said he wanted to go see the shelf with the price label.  So he takes the product we were trying to ring up, and him and my husband walk back to the aisle.  And the CSM sees the box, the price tag, and decides that the whole box is in the wrong spot, and that they are the higher-priced Combat product, and a lower-priced Combat product should be sitting there.  Yet, there were NO other Combat products on the shelf.  Otherwise we would have gladly taken the lower-priced item he was referring to.  Also, there were NO other Combat price labels on the shelf showing a $3.97 price.

Furthermore, it was absolutely not our fault that the items were set out in the wrong spot.  We didn't move them!  And the CSM compared the barcode on the item to the barcode on the label, and said that the very last number was different.  Yet, there wasn't a different barcode label on that shelf for the supposedly higher-priced item that we were scanning.

In the end, because it was not our fault that the higher-priced item was in the lower-priced items' spot...And because there was no lower-priced item to get...And because we were completely innocent throughout the whole thing, and were never once trying to do anything wrong...Because of all of that, our attention to detail, and persistence paid off....And he allowed the cashier to overwrite the item from $3.97 to $2.74.

Again, had we had any idea we were grabbing the wrong item, I never would have tried to get a price adjustment.  Not a single thing that happened was our fault.  It is not like I just argue my way into getting good deals, I don't advocate lying to get discounts.  This was a legit argument, because it was not our fault at all.  The store was absolutely at fault.
I am just glad that they adjusted the price, because then with the coupon we got an amazing deal.



So here's how it ended up:


Retail Cost:


  • 1 6ct Box Combat Ant Traps: $3.97

Retail Subtotal: $3.97



My Cost:

  • 1 6ct Box Combat Ant Traps: $3.97 - $1.50Price Adjustment = $2.47 - $2.00 Coupon = $0.47

My Subtotal: $0.47


$3.97 - $0.47 = Savings of $3.50


I was excited when I thought we were just saving $2...But now I'm even more excited that we ended up saving $3.50!

Even with the $0.22 added Sales Tax...For a total of $0.69...That comes to less than $0.12 a trap!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment