Thursday, April 14, 2011

Quickie Trip: 04/14/2011

Yesterday I decided to search through the Price Chopper circular specifically for any items that were BOGO (Buy One, Get One Free).  I then searched for coupons for only those items.  It also occurred to me, that maybe I should go to Price Chopper every day for the sole purpose of getting my Daily Random Free Coupon Print-Outs at the store...Since they are good for a week.  I don't know if that is worth it to drive there just for coupons, but it is absolutely tempting.

So today I decided that I would run to the store on my lunch break and price out everything I was thinking of buying tomorrow or Saturday...Everything that was on the list I made of BOGO items with coupons.  I figured I would write down all of the every day costs of each of the items, then figure out the math later to see how much I would save.  This way I would know before I started my shopping trip exactly how much everything would cost me, and what might not even be worth buying.  I thought this might make it a little bit easier than all the math I was doing on the fly on last week's trips.

While there, I would also get my Daily Coupon Print-Outs.  

I eat a salad every day for lunch, and while I was finishing up my salad today before I ran to the store, it reminded me that I am out of salad for tomorrow's lunch.  I checked on Price Chopper's site, and they had a printable coupon for $0.99 off of a 12oz bag of Fresh Dole Classic Iceberg Salad (normally $1.99).  So I printed that out and headed to the store.

When I got there I found a few more BOGO signs than what was advertised on their website.  They had all 12oz Fresh Blend bags of salad for BOGO.  They are normally $3.99 each, so for $3.99 you'd get two bags.  Not a great deal, but decent.  Especially considering I go through 4-5 bags of salad  a week.  And even if I wasn't out for tomorrow, I would need to be buying some this weekend anyway.  And that's the kind I always buy, with or without a coupon or a sale.

I tried to just get the Iceberg for $1.99 with the $0.99 off coupon, and bag of Dole for $3.99 for the BOGO.  But that didn't work, and I had to get another $3.99 Dole bag to complete the BOGO.  I was tempted to forget the BOGO altogether and just get the one bag for $1, but I figured since I would need to be buying it anyway, I might as well get one for free.  I was a little angry, but maybe it's because I am sick of Iceberg and try to go with Romaine nowadays.  So I could have skipped the Iceberg altogether, but it just seemed like a good deal, so I got all 3.


So in addition to spotting a few other BOGO items, getting a print out of coupons (undetermined at this point if I will be using them), and getting a listing of all of the prices I wanted, I also got the following:



  • 1 Bag of Dole Classic Iceberg Lettuce - $1.99 
  • 1 Bag of Dole Baby Spinach - $3.99
  • 1 Bag of Dole Very Veggie - $3.99


Why yes, I did take a picture of my lettuce at work just so I could upload it to my blog.  ;)


Subtotal: $9.97

My Price: $4.99

TOTAL SAVINGS: $4.98

Not the best, but still better than paying full price, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment